Poland requires that some citizens obtain permission from the government before they can buy property.

In the case of a company, he is considered a citizen of the country in which he is registered.

Since Poland joined the European Union in 2004, citizens of the Member States (also Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) can freely buy almost any type of property.

Permission is required only for the purchase of agricultural or forestry real estate. There are exceptions to this rule, for example when the buyer is a permanent resident in Poland or rents the property for some time.

In 2016, all authorization requirements for EEA and Swiss citizens will be lifted.Non-EU / EEA citizensForeigners who are not EEA or Swiss nationals must obtain permission from the Ministry of Internal Translation and Administration (Ministry of the Interior and Administration). However, the property can be purchased without permission in the following cases:when buying real estate for personal residential purposes (not more than 0.5 ha)permanent residents of Poland for over five years (counting from the date of obtaining Polish or European settlement permit)permanent residents of Poland for over two years (from the date of obtaining the Polish or European settlement permit), who are married to a Polish citizen and will own the property together with the spouseForeigners inheriting real estateForeign legal entities or partnerships without legal personality may buy undeveloped real estate (not larger than 0.4 ha) to meet their statutory objectivesIn some cases, the Ministry of Defense or the Ministry of Agriculture may block investments if they consider it contrary to state interests.

How to get permission?

Foreigners who need a permit to buy land in Poland must prove their connection with the Republic of Poland. It could be:

  • Polish ethnicity or origin
  • marriage with a Polish citizen (if the stay is shorter than two years or you do not want to own the property together)
  • residence or settlement permit for less than five years
  • doing business in Poland

Although the Ministry of the Interior and Administration theoretically oversees all property rights, you must submit an application to the municipal office, the office of the Mokotów district of St. Warsaw.

To apply for a permit, you must pay stamp duties by bank transfer to your office account.

You must prepare your own application form because there is no template.

The following documents should be submitted:

  • Original payment confirmation
  • Property Details
  • application form
  • documents confirming your connections with Poland

A full list of documents can be found in the article investing in Poland.

Remember that if your purchase affects Polish defense, state security, public order or local social policy, the application may be rejected. If you have been denied permission, you can appeal to the Ministry of Internal Translation and Administration. If this institution refuses your consent, you can appeal to the provincial administrative court (administrative court).

The permit is valid for 12 months and cannot be renewed. If you know that you will need more time to buy real estate, you can apply for a promise, a document that guarantees permission in the future. It is issued by the Ministry of internal translation and administration.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.